Jim

From: Srikanth [mailto:kanth@...]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 12:39 AM
To: EdgeX-DB-Persist@...; White2, James
Cc: edgex-tsc-core@...; EdgeX-Devel@...

Hello Jim, all:

Thanks for sharing the great notes.

I was thinking that SQL maybe more than sufficient for the edge use-case.  It is not clear if there are benefits to noSQL options mentioned especially in single node type configurations.  Do we anticipate edge needs to really scale so large like they may in a cloud/centralized system that may need to serve the "whole world"-type scale?

Regardless, priority wise, does SQL seem the way to go.  Also, IMO, only SQL meets the requirement to easily swap datastores in a compatible way.  And, noSQL generally moves lot more complexity to the application side - which is totally avoidable for edge centric need.

-Srikanth

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 7:26:54 AM PDT, James.White2@... <James.White2@...> wrote:

For those that participated in today’s call on EdgeX data persistence – thank you.  Good call.  The minutes and recording from the meeting can be found here:  https://wiki.edgexfoundry.org/display/FA/Data+Persistence+Project+Group

As you can see by this email, we have a new EdgeX mailing list.  I will be using this mailing list going forward (as opposed to the Core mailing list).  Please feel free to use this new mailing list to provide any feedback, observations or ask questions regarding data persistence.

Distinguished Engineer, IoT Platform Development Team Lead

EdgeX Foundry Technical Steering Committee Vice Chairman

Join EdgeX-DB-Persist@lists.edgexfoundry.org to automatically receive all group messages.