Date
Please help raise EdgeX in Github

Jim White

Community,

I hope everyone is enjoying a great summer.

I'd like to encourage everyone to help us raise the awareness and stature of the EdgeX project by doing a couple of simple things when you can:

1) Make yourself a public member of our community in Github.  Simply go to the people page here: https://github.com/orgs/edgexfoundry/people, find yourself in the list of EdgeX members and then set your organization visibility to Public as shown below.
image.png

2) When you are looking at any Github repository via the web, make sure you "Star" the EdgeX repositories.  If you are working with them regularly, also set up a Watch on the repository.

image.png

These simple items can help the status and visibility which is critical to organizations that look at the health of an open source project before adopting.  By the way, these are now critical items as we explore other 3rd party packages which we are using as part of EdgeX so you can bet they will also be important to others looking at our project.

Thank you for your support.
Jim White
CTO, IOTech
EdgeX Foundry co-founder & TSC Chairman
On EdgeX Slack @ jpwhite
612-916-6693

Process for vetting new 3rd party packages/modules

Jim White

EdgeX community,

Today, the TSC approved a new process for vetting and approving any new 3rd party packages and modules in EdgeX code.  Please have a read if you are a contributor to EdgeX:  https://wiki.edgexfoundry.org/display/FA/Vetting+Process+for+3rd+Party+Dependencies

A list of existing and approved Go modules are provided on the same Wiki page.

Going forward, if you submit a PR that includes code that requires a new package/module not already on the approved list of modules, you must provide the package details as outlined in the process document above.

PR reviewers are asked to watch for new module/package additions and avoid the inclusion of new packages/modules that are not a fit with the project or would unnecessarily bloat the services.

CTO, IOTech
EdgeX Foundry co-founder & TSC Chairman
On EdgeX Slack @ jpwhite
612-916-6693

EdgeX CLI survey

Jim White

EdgeX users and developers,
I am making one last pitch for your participation in our CLI survey.  The command line interface dev team is looking for critical feedback on how you use or would use the EdgeX CLI.  If you have yet filled out the survey, please do so.  You can find it at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QWKHZZZ or https://bitly.com/EdgeXCLI

thanks,
Jim White
CTO, IOTech
EdgeX Foundry co-founder & TSC Vice-chairman
On EdgeX Slack @ jpwhite
612-916-6693

Geneva (and Hanoi) Release Roadmap - IMPORTANT UPDATE

Jim White

Project members,

Over the past few weeks, some significant agreements and decisions have been made with regard to the future releases of our project.  As you know, there are a couple of large (huge??) efforts underway in our community.  There is a move to create and release a V2 of our service APIs – one that better serves the users (easier to use and fewer endpoints) and sets the foundation for long term needs of the platform as a whole.  We are also in the throws of replacing our Postman-based API blackbox testing with a richer and more capable platform – TAF.  This will provide much better support for all different types of testing without the need for special scripting, better support BDD testing approach, as well as support non-HTTP based testing.  BTW – there are some additional big efforts going on such as the move to Jenkins Pipelines and I do not mean to trivialize those efforts.  The efforts I am addressing here are just more cross cutting than most efforts we have seen in the past.

Thanks to a lot of great work on the part of many in this community, we have arrived at a plan to accomplish this work – along with delivery of some requested new features – over the course of the next couple of releases.  However, the plan will cause us to deviate from the initial planning made at our Phoenix F2F.  This message is meant to bring everyone up to speed with regard to the current planning and seek any feedback, comments or corrections to the plan.  So, what is happening?  Here is a summary:

·         Geneva will be version 1.2 (not 2.0; Hanoi will likely be a 2.0 release)

·         Geneva will not be LTS.  While no specific future release is pinpointed for LTS, the general hope is that the Ireland release will be a bug fix only, minor release that might be our best opportunity for an LTS.

·         V2 API implementation will be accomplished, tentatively, over 2 releases (Geneva and Hanoi).  For Geneva, core services will implement the V2 API as “beta” and use at your own risk.  The work is going to be generally completed by teams from Dell, Intel and IOTech but will likely involve/impact all developers to some degree.

·         Important new features of Geneva (ex: automatic provisioning) will still use V1 APIs

·         SDKs and other services would still generally call on V1 APIs (still rely on V1 clients)

·         The V1 APIs will be retired when the V2 APIs are released (again, likely with the Hanoi release)

·         Export services are removed from the Geneva release.  This required the approval of a backward compatibility exception for Geneva since it is no longer a major release.

·         TAF will be used as overarching API/blackbox testing platform.  Tests for V2 APIs (only) will be created by TEST/QA team

·         Postman tests remain for V1 APIs

·         Dev teams are welcome to (encouraged?) to provide language dependent service level tests in their code base as they see fit (example Go Tests) but this is optional at this point

Attached, I have provided a document that outlines the updated & detailed release roadmap for Geneva.  I will be updating the Wiki site to reflect this new release list.  I encourage work group chairpersons to review this list and provide me any corrections.

Finally, I’d like to say again how proud and privileged I feel to be a part of this organization of technical experts.  The effort to come to this agreement was not easy.  There were a lot of differing opinions and expectations.  But methodically, and with input from all, we have put our project on track to achieve great things and to continue to be the best open source edge solution on the planet.  The type of exercise we just went through would have killed a lot of open source projects (indeed has killed some projects in the past).  Yet this crew chipped in, chimed in, and professionally faced the challenge without a lot of politics or strife.  Good healthy technical debates – yep, you betcha - but more cooperation, negotiation, and teamwork than you’ll find in any project - open source or otherwise.  Thank you all again for what you do and how you do it.

The challenge of implementation lies ahead, but I have every faith that this team will deliver.

Jim White
CTO, IOTech
EdgeX Foundry co-founder & TSC Vice-chairman
On EdgeX Slack @ jpwhite
612-916-6693

Re: Proposal to change the name of the executables of the EdgeX microservices

odysseas lamtzidis

In my setup, in ps fax the services are listed as follows, am I missing something?:

2359 ?        Ssl    7:48 /usr/bin/containerd

 6725 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ containerd-shim -namespace moby -workdir /var/lib/containerd/io.containerd.runtime.v1.linux/moby/229dc39f485b3e7dc4811b1e09d07fc05afa72c4b93653

 6786 ?        Ssl    0:00  |   \_ ./edgex-ui-server

 7270 ?        Sl     0:02  \_ containerd-shim -namespace moby -workdir /var/lib/containerd/io.containerd.runtime.v1.linux/moby/9c1659d145b36a9101b80736ed3fc3e0a792ea5d3a5285

 7335 ?        Ss     0:00  |   \_ /usr/bin/dumb-init /bin/sh /usr/local/bin/docker-entrypoint.sh agent -dev -client 0.0.0.0

 7398 ?        Ssl    1:45  |       \_ consul agent -data-dir=/consul/data -config-dir=/consul/config -dev -client 0.0.0.0

 8672 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ containerd-shim -namespace moby -workdir /var/lib/containerd/io.containerd.runtime.v1.linux/moby/297a5131ed6c930791de96f38add8a0b1c92b24b250573

 9082 ?        Ssl    0:25  |   \_ /support-notifications --registry --profile=docker --confdir=/res

I am using the official docker-compose.

I am sorry if this propsal is too elementary.

Thanks for your time.

Best,

Lamtzidis Odysseas,
Website: odyslam.me
Tel:(+30) 6980950995

On 21 Nov 2019, 5:20 PM +0200, Trevor.Conn@..., wrote:

When run as native processes, we already run the executables with an alias to accomplish this.

https://github.com/edgexfoundry/edgex-go/blob/10c338cd7ad901a6911ca1187aa75fa330e60a95/bin/edgex-launch.sh#L32

Similarly, the hostnames of the dockerized containers contain “edgex”.