From: EdgeX-Devel@... <EdgeX-Devel@...> On Behalf Of va00510223@...
Sent: Monday, June 3, 2019 11:53 PM
To: EdgeX-Devel@...
Subject: [Edgex-devel] edgexfoundary installation

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

Hi,
Do we have any way of installing edgexfoundary without docker??
Please suggest.

Thanks
Venkat

espy

On 6/4/19 8:10 AM, James.White2@... wrote:

Venkat – as one alternate, EdgeX also provides Ubuntu snaps.  This is provided through the Snap store.

One minor correction, snaps are supported on any Linux distro with snapd support. So technically they're not "Ubuntu" snaps. The edgexfoundry snap has in fact been installed on Debian, Kali, and Zorin among others distros.

For more information on how to install and use the snap of EdgeX see:

https://github.com/edgexfoundry/edgex-go/blob/master/snap/README.md

If you're running any recent version of Ubuntu, installing the snap is a one-line command:

$ sudo snap install edgexfoundry

This will install from the latest/stable channel which is the Delhi release of EdgeX. If you want to experiment with the current development release "Edinburgh", you just need indicate that you want to install from the edinburgh/edge channel where daily builds are published:

$ sudo snap install edgexfoundry --channel=edinburgh/edge

Others in our community (for example Mainflux) have used other means or simple scripting to install, but that is not something we maintain as part of the community artifacts.  You might want to solicit for other alternatives through our Slack channels (edgexfoundry.slack.com).

Jim