Topics

Verifying EdgeX deployment in automated fashion

Srini

Hi,

We, at Intel,  working in ONAP community on a feature called “K8S based Cloud region support”.

One of the use cases we want to prove above feature is with  EdgeXFoundry.

As part of this use case effort, we will be

-        Creating helm charts for entire EdgeXFoundry project.

-        Ensuring that charts are parameterized to ensure that same Helm charts can be used to instantiate multiple times in various edge sites that have different capabilities.

From integration and testing perspective, we like to ensure that:

-        Deploy EdgeX in multiple edge sites.

-        Verify that EdgeX instance is running properly.

We need help in last step “Verifying that EdgeX instance is running in the site”.

Intention is to verify that in automated fashion.

Questions:

-        Is there set of tests that can be done to verify the deployment is okay without having real IOT sensors/actuators.

-        In other use cases in ONAP, we tend to have test containers that generate traffic and receive traffic (sink) for verifying the deployment of actual VNFs (such as firewall, DNS, load balancer etc..).   We are wondering whether there are any test containers that can be deployed (from ONAP), that can generate test traffic and verify the results?

-        Any thoughts

Thanks

Srini

James.White2@...

Hi Srini,

This sounds like interesting work.  I would encourage you to get with Andy Foster and James Gregg of the project as these are our Test and DevOps chairman.  They run a joint working group meeting on Thursday mornings (US time).  They can help address your questions – and I am guessing get this on the agenda of their meeting for any additional discussion or questions that come from that.  Might be good for you to also share more with a wider community in that meeting forum.

Jim White

Distinguished Engineer, IoT Platform Development Team Lead

EdgeX Foundry Technical Steering Committee Vice Chairman

We, at Intel,  working in ONAP community on a feature called “K8S based Cloud region support”.

One of the use cases we want to prove above feature is with  EdgeXFoundry.

As part of this use case effort, we will be

-          Creating helm charts for entire EdgeXFoundry project.

-          Ensuring that charts are parameterized to ensure that same Helm charts can be used to instantiate multiple times in various edge sites that have different capabilities.

From integration and testing perspective, we like to ensure that:

[...]

Thanks Jim.

We will request a slot to talk about this in DevOps+test working group.

Thanks

Srini

We, at Intel,  working in ONAP community on a feature called “K8S based Cloud region support”.

One of the use cases we want to prove above feature is with  EdgeXFoundry.

As part of this use case effort, we will be

-        Creating helm charts for entire EdgeXFoundry project.

-        Ensuring that charts are parameterized to ensure that same Helm charts can be used to instantiate multiple times in various edge sites that have different capabilities.

From integration and testing perspective, we like to ensure that:

-        Deploy EdgeX in multiple edge sites.

-        Verify that EdgeX instance is running properly.

We need help in last step “Verifying that EdgeX instance is running in the site”.

Intention is to verify that in automated fashion.

Questions:

-        Is there set of tests that can be done to verify the deployment is okay without having real IOT sensors/actuators.

-        In other use cases in ONAP, we tend to have test containers that generate traffic and receive traffic (sink) for verifying the deployment of actual VNFs (such as firewall, DNS, load balancer etc..).   We are wondering whether there are any test containers that can be deployed (from ONAP), that can generate test traffic and verify the results?

-        Any thoughts

Thanks

Srini

Andrew Foster <andy@...>

Srini,

Happy to add your questions to this Thursday’s agenda.

Regards,

Andy

We will request a slot to talk about this in DevOps+test working group.

Thanks

Srini

We, at Intel,  working in ONAP community on a feature called “K8S based Cloud region support”.

One of the use cases we want to prove above feature is with  EdgeXFoundry.

As part of this use case effort, we will be

  • Creating helm charts for entire EdgeXFoundry project.
  • Ensuring that charts are parameterized to ensure that same Helm charts can be used to instantiate multiple times in various edge sites that have different capabilities.

From integration and testing perspective, we like to ensure that:

  • Deploy EdgeX in multiple edge sites.
  • Verify that EdgeX instance is running properly.

We need help in last step “Verifying that EdgeX instance is running in the site”.

Intention is to verify that in automated fashion.

Questions:

  • Is there set of tests that can be done to verify the deployment is okay without having real IOT sensors/actuators.
  • In other use cases in ONAP, we tend to have test containers that generate traffic and receive traffic (sink) for verifying the deployment of actual VNFs (such as firewall, DNS, load balancer etc..).   We are wondering whether there are any test containers that can be deployed (from ONAP), that can generate test traffic and verify the results?
  • Any thoughts

Thanks

Srini

Srini

Thank you Andy.

Would next week be okay ( I am travelling this week)?

BTW, I found this https://github.com/edgexfoundry/blackbox-testing/. Will be going through this and check if this suits our requirements, especially Newman based testing.