Re: [Edgex-tsc-core] Core Contract Model Validators

espy

On 4/4/19 9:49 AM, Tony Espy wrote:

On 4/2/19 6:38 PM, Trevor.Conn@... wrote:

Another update on this –

This week in the #core channel on Slack Ian Johnson asked me why the approach below didn’t involve creating a Validator interface and using reflection to go through the members of a type, calling Validate() on those that implemented the interface. As those on the last Core WG call will remember, this was the original idea I proposed. So since Ian effectively +1’ed my original proposal I decided to implement it for a side by side comparison.

The changes only needed to be made to the core-contracts module and can be found here:

https://github.com/tsconn23/go-mod-core-contracts/tree/validator_intf

This is the first Go-based reflection code I’ve written, so there could be other ways to do this. However, I used the JSON Unmarshaler implementation from the standard library as an example.

I did a bit of research on this and there's been at least one formal golang proposal to enhance the JSON annotation language to cover missing fields:

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/16426

That said, although the proposal was shot down, the use of a Validator interface was discussed as an alternative.

I'm +1 on the overall approach (including use of reflection).

With the current structure of our requests, it’s hard to know where to invoke the validation from. In this example, the DeviceService is the top-level struct so I start the process here. However one could argue that an Addressable should be able to validate independently since we can add/update an Addressable on its own. That would mean the Addressable would end up being validated twice in this case.

I think always validating when unmarshalling an external request makes sense, and one could argue that validating if/when we construct a new instance of a model makes sense too. I'm not sure I follow the exact flow where we'd validate twice?

An alternate/simpler approach to that solves the duplicate validation calls problem is just to make validation a responsibility of the original caller (ie. the function/method that makes the first json.Unmarshall()) instead of always calling Validate() at the end of a model's UnmarshallJSON().

Since we pass a deeply nested multii-purpose model around instead of Request types specific to the API endpoint that could be used for this kind of control, it probably is what it is unless we refactor.

Also, w/r/t recursion, I’d look to accomplish that through the Validate() functions at each node in the graph. So DeviceService calls Validate() on all its sub-types where applicable, then those sub-types would do the same followed by their sub-types and so on.

Seems reasonable

Let me know your thoughts. We’ll probably be talking about this at this week’s meeting.

Trevor