Re: Community Feedback Required on PRs 1348 / 1359
I prefer PR 1348 as it works for native and snaps, not just Docker. Also, I think it is more straight forward than modifying the toml file during the Docker build.
From: EdgeX-GoLang@... <EdgeX-GoLang@...> On Behalf Of Trevor.Conn@...
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:41 AM
To: EdgeX-GoLang@...; edgex-tsc-core@...; EdgeX-Devel@...
Subject: [Edgex-golang] Community Feedback Required on PRs 1348 / 1359
Hi all --
As you're aware from recent working group calls we need to develop a mechanism whereby the service configurations can be easily overridden to use Redis for the upcoming Edinburgh release. In a deployment scenario, we do not want to require an admin to go in and modify the configuration files for Redis to be enabled. It needs to be accomplished either via the Snap, docker-compose or script for automation.
We have two PRs for issue 1347 that seek to solve this problem. One of them is mine and I don't think it's appropriate for me to make a unilateral decision, so I'm seeking feedback from the community as to which approach should be accepted.
To summarize each approach:
1.) PR 1359 utilizes changes to the config-seed Dockerfile that creates copies of the existing service configuration.toml files. It replaces the necessary properties in the duplicated files with Redis values and then injects these into the config-seed image in a different directory. To use this, a Redis-specific docker-compose.yml would utilize the existing --cmd parameter to point at the root location of the Redis configuration files. For example:
command: ["/edgex/cmd/config-seed/config-seed --profile=docker --cmd=/edgex/cmd-redis"]
2.) PR 1348 defines a new command line parameter on the config-seed (--database / -d) that defaults to Mongo. If the service is started with "-d=redis" then the database connectivity parameters are overridden from the existing configuration.toml files prior to population of Consul.
The essential differences are:
Since code freeze is on Tuesday the 28th, we need a consensus from the community rather quickly. You are welcome to provide feedback here or on either PR. If no clear preference has emerged by the time we hold the Core Working Group call this Thursday, we will make a decision then.