From: edgex-tsc-bounces@... [mailto:edgex-tsc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Drasko DRASKOVIC
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2017 9:26 PM
To: White2, James <James_White2@...>
Cc: edgex-devel@...; edgex-tsc@...; edgex-golang@...; Fran├žoise Braun <francoisebraun@...>
Subject: Re: [Edgex-tsc] [Edgex-devel] Meet Edgy - Octopus who loves Gophers

Hi Jim,

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 3:16 AM, <James.White2@...> wrote:
Drasko,

Actually there is already an "Edgy". He (or she??) can be found lurking around some of the EdgeX materials already (like this one: https://www.edgexfoundry.org/community/#HowToGetStarted). :)

Brett Preston can get you the image files.
Although I like yours too! Perhaps we should have an "edge-off"?
Yes, we saw this one later, but it looked more like a logo (we were unsure). Is this the official mascot? If yes, maybe Francoise can give a few design propositions around it...

Drasko DRASKOVIC <drasko@...>

HI Jason,

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 3:38 AM, <Jason.A.Shepherd@...> wrote:
Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

Hey Drasko - we're thinking the mascot should be an octopus, not only because the arms look like various data flows but they also have a brain in every arm to react locally. So they do edge analytics!
Francoise - we would welcome proposals for alternative octopus graphics and we can then put it up for a vote in the community.
These guidelines are important, and we had something like this in mind
- big head should indicate that it is smart, and it looks more mobile
and faster than gopher, and similar. I am sure that Francoise can
fill-in more details here about the character she designed. Current
logo (on wiki) is symmetric, follows a cartoonish style, which is also
nice (just different style). It would be interesting to see how it
moves, holds things, communicates, etc...

To give some background on the subject, I advise this great lecture
from Rene French, original Go Gopher designer from Bell Labs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rw_B4yY69k. It is impressive to see
all the science and work behind it (and it's funy lecture also :)).
It's also great to see how Gopher's design is consonance with Go's
philosophy "Simplicity is complicated", and this is as well something
we had in mind when designing Edgy.

In any case, whatever variant we choose, I think some work must be
invested to elaborate all the design aspects of the character (as Rene
explains it in the video). I think it would be great to obtain in the
end one mascot that we can use Go team uses their Gopher - from
stickers, posters, mugs and t-shirts to vynil and plush toys, Gopher
is really valuable marketing and promotional material, and people are
emotional about it (I saw this recently for example:
https://github.com/egonelbre/gophers).

Jason.A.Shepherd@...

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

That's definitely a great story about the Go Gopher. Similar work went into the Docker whale to maximize potential for developers to feel a connection with it.

I propose that we run a contest to pick our official octopus mascot to be debuted with the California preview release in January. The current design is from experimentation we the logo and architecture graphics were created but it would be great for us to pick an octopus mascot that was designed by someone in the community. We can vote on both the design and name, with current graphic being an option on the ballot too.

Whatever we choose I think it should be slightly cartoonish and cute but not too much so, look intelligent but approachable and willing to help, etc...

-Jason