Re: Preliminary Doc on Moving to Go Modules

Gregg, James R

Thank you Eric
Is there additional overhead for setting team permissions that allow the update to the main repo?

Does LF manage GitHub via infrastructure as code?

On Jan 30, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Eric Ball <eball@...> wrote:

James,

In addition to the initial creation of the repo (which isn't a big deal) and devs needing to pull submodules, there's also the added step of having to update one repo (the one using the submodule) when the other one is updated. This is an extra step, and an easy one to forget, but it's certainly not a major source of complexity. Just something to keep in mind when weighing the options. Jeremy, please chime in if I forgot anything.

Eric Ball
Release Engineer
The Linux Foundation

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 4:26 PM Gregg, James R <james.r.gregg@...> wrote:

Jeremy,

I think in terms of the added workflow complexity, it would require additional overhead to the helpdesk / release engineer to create the repos where the submodules would reside.

What else?

I know that ci-management has git submodules and it seems to work well as long as the developers remember to do a recursive pull to ensure that the submodule code is refreshed.

~ James Gregg