Topics

edinburgh release asks

Jacob Blain Christen (Intel)

All,

Lisa and I put together the asks from this morning’s DevOps call

http://gist.github.com/dweomer/550d3740c0ebf5f2b4231a8d5b439a4f

--

Jacob Blain Christen

IOTG / RSD DevOps / Sr. DevOps Engineer

E: jacob.blain.christen@...

M: 480-779-7443

Ian Johnson

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for putting this together. I do have one consideration with respect to not cutting a new branch for i.e. device-snmp-go for the snap jobs. If we don't cut the branch then I think that means we should also not request snap tracks for those repos until as you say they break compatibility, and as such also not create additional Edinburgh branch snap jobs.

I think this is all fine, but we should document somewhere that when a branch for Edinburgh is cut, in addition to the normal jobs snap jobs will also need to be created. I raise this issue because right now it seems that I'm the only one creating these snap jobs and it's easy for me to do so during a release when we're talking about all of the repos, but when this branch gets cut at some later date me or whoever else is helping maintain snaps may not be looped into that decision.

Is there somewhere we have documented specific EdgeX release processes? If we have that then I can document there how to create the snap jobs (it's all already templated so it's quite easy to create the new yaml in ci-management) and that should help ensure whoever works on this when a future release is cut out of sync with the normal release creates the new snap jobs.

Thanks,
Ian

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019, 17:44 Jacob Blain Christen (Intel) <jacob.blain.christen@...> wrote:

All,

Lisa and I put together the asks from this morning’s DevOps call

http://gist.github.com/dweomer/550d3740c0ebf5f2b4231a8d5b439a4f

--

Jacob Blain Christen

IOTG / RSD DevOps / Sr. DevOps Engineer

E: jacob.blain.christen@...

M: 480-779-7443

Gregg, James R

Ian,

Here’s the direct link to the release process as documented.

https://wiki.edgexfoundry.org/display/FA/Release+Process

~ James Gregg

[...]

James.White2@...

Thanks for pulling this together Jacob.

On the first part, I don’t see the Pipeline Repos ask as too big a deal, but I am still unclear as to why this is desired.  Are you suggesting we not make Edinburgh branches until they are actually needed?  We did cut branches on all the other repositories.  Would it have been your advocation not to cut those branches as well until necessary?

On the second issue – device-sdk-go release – I’d ask that this be covered and debated in the device service WG for Monday of next week.  Steve Osselton, can you add this to the agenda?

Lisa and I put together the asks from this morning’s DevOps call

http://gist.github.com/dweomer/550d3740c0ebf5f2b4231a8d5b439a4f

--

Jacob Blain Christen

IOTG / RSD DevOps / Sr. DevOps Engineer

E: jacob.blain.christen@...

M: 480-779-7443

Rashidi-ranjbar, Lisa A

Hi Jim,

To be clear we are advocating that the Edinburgh branches are not needed right away in the pipeline enabled repos.

This is because with the pipeline jobs we have the ability to do a release off the master branch.

For the freestyle jobs creating the branch is needed because we do not have a mechanism to release off master.

In the event that a pipeline repo has a non-backwards compatible change we can create the Edinburgh branch at that time.

This is why we are suggesting to move device-sdk-go to a pipeline job. We can make release candidates off the master branch for device-sdk-go which will allow for more integration time.

I can go through more implications in the device WG next week.

To clarify for Edinburgh we only expected to have the go-modules with pipeline enabled jobs.

Since we got a little bit ahead we started to work on Fuji scope in DevOps.

These discussions about releasing off master I originally thought would happen after Edinburgh was over.

Since we have 2 extra repos with pipelines enabled now – we need have this discussion and to start communicating the pros and cons more.

Thanks,

Lisa

[...]

OK – so we will wait for the next DevOps call to take any action and can discuss.

If you think we need to act sooner, please advise so we can try to hash things out by email or have a separate call.