Date
Re: Prototype- Blackbox test of Device-Virtual with Robot Framework

Cloud Tsai

Hi Jim,  Sorry for the unclear description.  Here is the further explanation.

  • “It hasn't been applied the taf structure” – what does this mean?
    TAF stands for Test Automation Framework contributed by Intel team.  It is based on Robot and defines a good file and folder structure, util libraries, and naming convention.  Intel will help present in the QA WG meeting.
    https://github.com/edgexfoundry-holding/edgex-taf
    https://github.com/edgexfoundry-holding/edgex-taf-common
  • “The plan is to use robot file to define the spec (test cases) for all the services” – so we would get rid of the current blackbox tests long run??  Is this work that each work group needs to do or be involved in?  Would the goal be for all services by Geneva or which release is the target?
    We won't get rid of the current blackbox tests soon.
    It should be a gradually process, and follow the pace of certification work.  We need a place clearly define the spec.  Thus, it would start from Device Service.  Yes, we will need the help from each working group to define or review the spec in Robot files.
  • Any idea of how long it takes to run Robot tests verses postman tests?  Just a general idea of whether it takes more or less time to run tests?
    The duration of running the test does not depend on the test framework, but the complexity of test cases.  The tests of postman are all simple API test, so it would be quicker.  The tests in system integration level would take longer time, but in API level should be similar.
  • I assume the device test suite (which you show against the device virtual on slide 4) would be set up for each device service??  How or would the Robot tests be setup to test each new device service?  Do we need a separate test suite for each device service or would this be the same suite for all device services?  How would that work/look?
    This needs further discussion, and applying TAF might help achieve that.
  • While you say that people (users) writing the tests don’t really have to know how to program to write test cases (you summary slide), it would seem that they will need a developer to write the resource.robot as that is pretty detailed to the API and all the parameters, etc. and I think it would require the developer to write this – correct?
    That's the goal, but we are still figuring out how to make it easier.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 22:29, <James.White2@...> wrote:

Cloud and team – good work to start this.  Couple of questions/comments…

[...]

jim