Re: Issue with core microservice access credentials in the secret service when secret service is enabled.

White2, James

All,

Based on a call with Trevor, Tingyu and Brandon from my team just after the security working group call, we made some decisions about this design (some that are a reversal of what was discussed on the WG call).

  1. Per Tingyu’s message below, the command line parameter to use Vault secrets by the service is going to be named “secrets” versus “secretservicerequired” in order to shorten it up a bit
  2. The default value for this will be false versus true.  Meaning you have to add this command line parameter in order to turn on secrets by Vault.

This means that by default, services will still get the database username/password info from Consul or config file for the Edinburgh release and will get the secrets out of Vault only if someone adds the “secrets” command parameter setting.

While the preferred way would be to have secrets coming from Vault by default (especially production), the change for developers and the change to all the blackbox tests immediately (and as discussed in our WG meeting) was going to create too much turmoil this close to the release.  We will revisit this default for Fuji.  The functionality will still be there, just not on by default.

If you have comments or additional concerns , please let us know.

Jim White

Director, IoT Platform Development Team & Distinguished Engineer

EdgeX Foundry Technical Steering Committee Vice Chairman