Re: Potential security issues with EdgeX

Alexandre Courouble <acourouble@...>

Thank you for your response David. We are looking for ways to get involved with EdgeX, so this might be a good starting point.

Malini will be in Edinburgh for the F2F next week. I’m sure you two meetup.

Alex Courouble

Member of Technical Staff – Open Source Engineer

VMware Open Source Technology Center

From: David Ferriera <david.ferriera@...>
Date: Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 1:32 PM
To: Alexandre Courouble <acourouble@...>, "edgex-tsc-security@..." <edgex-tsc-security@...>
Cc: Malini Bhandaru <mbhandaru@...>
Subject: Re: Potential security issues with EdgeX

Hi Alex,

    Thank you for the effort.  We welcome contributions.  We are always shorthanded in the security group.

   Code analysis has been on our list since the beginning.  If you have the resources to help us fix these and others, that would be great.  We would like to have this function be a part of our ongoing release process.

   Will you or any of your team be at the Edinburgh F2F next week?  If not, I will put this topic on one of our weekly meetings and invite you to discuss.

Thanks,

-David

David Ferriera | Forgerock

Senior Director, Cloud Technology | Office of the CTO

m +1 408.454.8189 | w forgerock.com

On October 16, 2018 at 4:17:11 PM, Alexandre Courouble (acourouble@...) wrote:

Hello,

Gosec (https://github.com/securego/gosec)  is a tool that parses the source code and looks for security anti-patterns.

We ran gosec against the EdgeX-go source code and uncovered a series of potential vulnerabilities including but not limited to:

  • Blacklisted import crypto/sha1: weak cryptographic primitive
  • Potential file inclusion via variable
  • Expect file permissions to be 0600 or less

I’ve attached the gosec output to this email.

Do these vulnerabilities seem critical to you? If so, we would love to contribute fixes.

We would like to know how we should proceed further?

Potentially we could integrate gosec into the build pipeline.

Join EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org to automatically receive all group messages.