Date
Re: Secure Mongo Discussion from WG Meeting

espy

On 2/19/20 6:57 PM, Trevor.Conn@... wrote:

Tony: “I'm not sure I totally follow your last sentence? Do you mean a developer trying to connect to a generic mongo docker image (i.e. not docker-edgex-mongo)?”

No, I’m saying a dev who’s using docker-edgex-mongo for development and needs to connect via command line or GUI would need to provide credentials once access control is enabled.

OK, so then you could just grab the credentials from the docker profile's configuration.toml, and use those on the command line, right?

Tony: “per the bug this also affects anyone running the services natively as well”

Not necessarily. As a dev, if I’m going to run Mongo natively I’m going to start it without access control so whether or not the credentials are populated in the non-Docker configuration files is moot. On the other hand if I’m running Mongo with access control for a deployment scenario, then credential population in the non-Docker configs is certainly required.

I just meant that right now, the non-docker configuration.toml file for edgex-mongo lacks credentials, this causes the breakage in the snap, but would also affect someone running edgex-mongo natively using the non-docker profile. Seems like we just need to add the credentials from the docker configuration.toml to the default configuration.toml, and problem solved?

/tony

From: Tony Espy <espy@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:40 PM
To: Conn, Trevor; EdgeX-TSC-Security@...
Subject: Re: [Edgex-tsc-security] Secure Mongo Discussion from WG Meeting

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

On 2/19/20 1:25 PM, Trevor.Conn@... wrote:

This is my understanding of the “Secure Mongo” discussion we had at the end of the Security WG call.

The following PR, if accepted, will start Mongo with access control enabled regardless of whether Vault integration is turned on.

https://github.com/edgexfoundry/docker-edgex-mongo/pull/81

While this will require services to actually authenticate for Mongo access, I don’t believe this will pose a problem for folks running the platform in containerized mode. If you’re running Mongo in a container, docker-edgex-mongo will bootstrap the following credentials. These are the same credentials that will be used by any edgex-go service (core-metadata example). The only difference is that a developer who wishes to connect to a Dockerized mongo instance via command line or GUI will need to provide credentials to do so – and these are nowhere defined!

I'm not sure I totally follow your last sentence? Do you mean a developer trying to connect to a generic mongo docker image (i.e. not docker-edgex-mongo)?

Secondarily, I believe Diana also wants to enable Mongo access control for the Snap. The Snap does not use Docker containers and so reads the non-Docker configuration.toml for each EdgeX service – and this resulted in the creation of edgex-go issue #2380.

Yes, that looks right, but per the bug this also affects anyone running the services natively as well. It seems to me, the right thing then would be to modify the non-docker configuration.toml for each of the affected services to specify the Database username/password, right?

If the Snap starts Mongo with access control, then no service in the Snap will be able to access Mongo if the username/password are blank.

I checked, and at least the edgex-mongo configuration correctly includes the db creds in the snap, so it's just the non-docker configuration.toml files for the services which need to be updated.

Thanks for the heads-up!

There are effectively two different issues here which can proceed independently. At least, this reflects my understanding.

Trevor Conn

Director of Software Engineering (DMTS)

Core Working Group Chair of EdgeX Foundry

Dell Technologies | Edge / IoT DellTech

Secure Mongo Discussion from WG Meeting

Diana Atanasova

Hi all

Trevor's summary email precisely describe why I have created this PR. Thank you, Trevor.

I would suggest not to talk about developers way of work and get confused. Developers could use local/docker/snap instance of mongo. With docker and snap , mongo authentication will be enabled by default, but the developer could easily change this!

Tony: “I'm not sure I totally follow your last sentence? Do you mean a developer trying to connect to a generic mongo docker image (i.e. not docker-edgex-mongo)?”

Trevor: No, I’m saying a dev who’s using docker-edgex-mongo for development and needs to connect via command line or GUI would need to provide credentials once access control is enabled.

Diana: Here it is an example of what Trevor means with the above sentence.  Here it is an example how you could connect to mongo when authentication is enabled.  mongo --username core --password xxxxx --authenticationDatabase coredata --host localhost --port 27017. But As I said, the developers are free to disable the security if needed.

P.S I am not sure if I am sending this email in the correct way

Regards, Diana

[...]

Secondarily, I believe Diana also wants to enable Mongo access control for the Snap. The Snap does not use Docker containers and so reads the non-Docker configuration.toml for each EdgeX service – and this resulted in the creation of edgex-go issue #2380. If the Snap starts Mongo with access control, then no service in the Snap will be able to access Mongo if the username/password are blank.

There are effectively two different issues here which can proceed independently. At least, this reflects my understanding.

Trevor Conn

Director of Software Engineering (DMTS)

Core Working Group Chair of EdgeX Foundry

Dell Technologies | Edge / IoT DellTech

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 02/19/2020 #cal-notice

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <noreply@...>

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When:
Wednesday, 19 February 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer:
EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

EdgeX Security WG Meeting. Meeting content posted to Security WG Wiki.
Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

Upcoming Event: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 02/19/2020 9:00am-10:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <EdgeX-TSC-Security@...>

Reminder: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When: Wednesday, 19 February 2020, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer: EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 02/12/2020 #cal-notice

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <noreply@...>

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When:
Wednesday, 12 February 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer:
EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

EdgeX Security WG Meeting. Meeting content posted to Security WG Wiki.
Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

Upcoming Event: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 02/12/2020 9:00am-10:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <EdgeX-TSC-Security@...>

Reminder: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When: Wednesday, 12 February 2020, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer: EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 02/05/2020 #cal-notice

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <noreply@...>

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When:
Wednesday, 5 February 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer:
EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

EdgeX Security WG Meeting. Meeting content posted to Security WG Wiki.
Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

Upcoming Event: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 02/05/2020 9:00am-10:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <EdgeX-TSC-Security@...>

Reminder: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When: Wednesday, 5 February 2020, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer: EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 01/29/2020 #cal-notice

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <noreply@...>

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When:
Wednesday, 29 January 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer:
EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

EdgeX Security WG Meeting. Meeting content posted to Security WG Wiki.
Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

Upcoming Event: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 01/29/2020 9:00am-10:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <EdgeX-TSC-Security@...>

Reminder: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When: Wednesday, 29 January 2020, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer: EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 01/22/2020 #cal-notice

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <noreply@...>

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When:
Wednesday, 22 January 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer:
EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

EdgeX Security WG Meeting. Meeting content posted to Security WG Wiki.
Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

Upcoming Event: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 01/22/2020 9:00am-10:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <EdgeX-TSC-Security@...>

Reminder: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When: Wednesday, 22 January 2020, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer: EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 01/15/2020 #cal-notice

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <noreply@...>

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When:
Wednesday, 15 January 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer:
EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

EdgeX Security WG Meeting. Meeting content posted to Security WG Wiki.
Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

Upcoming Event: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 01/15/2020 9:00am-10:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <EdgeX-TSC-Security@...>

Reminder: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When: Wednesday, 15 January 2020, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer: EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 01/08/2020 #cal-notice

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <noreply@...>

EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When:
Wednesday, 8 January 2020
9:00am to 10:00am
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Organizer:
EdgeX-TSC-Security@...

EdgeX Security WG Meeting. Meeting content posted to Security WG Wiki.
Meeting Lead: David Ferriera, Security WG Chair, david.ferriera@...
-----
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/576218946

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +14086380968,,576218946# or +16465588656,,576218946#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll) or +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll)
    +1 855 880 1246 (US Toll Free)
    +1 877 369 0926 (US Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 576 218 946
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=t6UX5OTIE0SFrIk-9MMnBPbFjE3dZ_xx

Upcoming Event: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly) - Wed, 01/08/2020 9:00am-10:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

EdgeX-TSC-Security@lists.edgexfoundry.org Calendar <EdgeX-TSC-Security@...>

Reminder: EdgeX Security WG Meeting (Weekly)

When: Wednesday, 8 January 2020, 9:00am to 10:00am, (GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles