Date   
<no subject>

Zerbe, James
 

 

Re: <no subject>

Medlin, Ryan <Ryan.Medlin@...>
 

Yep im registered to the security one too now



From: <edgex-tsc-bounces@...> on behalf of "Zerbe, James" <James.Zerbe@...>
Date: Monday, April 17, 2017 at 1:44 PM
To: "edgex-tsc@..." <edgex-tsc@...>
Subject: [Edgex-tsc] <no subject>

 

EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...>
 

All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels




Re: EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

Keith Steele
 

Philip
When will the working groups be set up?
Best
Keith

On 17 April 2017 at 20:14, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...> wrote:
All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

Re: EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...>
 

Mailing lists or actual groupe?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Philip
When will the working groups be set up?
Best
Keith

On 17 April 2017 at 20:14, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

Re: EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

Keith Steele
 

The technical steering groups?


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:46, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...> wrote:

Mailing lists or actual groupe?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Philip
When will the working groups be set up?
Best
Keith

On 17 April 2017 at 20:14, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

Re: EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...>
 

These will form after project launch during the first TSC meeting. I expect that to happen the week of 1 May.

Philip

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
The technical steering groups?


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:46, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

Mailing lists or actual groupe?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Philip
When will the working groups be set up?
Best
Keith

On 17 April 2017 at 20:14, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:
All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

Re: EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

Keith Steele
 

Ok thanks, presumably that meeting will be in US? Please give those of us who have to travel overseas as much notice as poss. Much Appreciated. Keith


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:57, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...> wrote:

These will form after project launch during the first TSC meeting. I expect that to happen the week of 1 May.

Philip

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
The technical steering groups?


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:46, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

Mailing lists or actual groupe?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Philip
When will the working groups be set up?
Best
Keith

On 17 April 2017 at 20:14, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:
All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

Re: EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...>
 

Absolutely Keith - we will plan it here on the list.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Ok thanks, presumably that meeting will be in US? Please give those of us who have to travel overseas as much notice as poss. Much Appreciated. Keith


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:57, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

These will form after project launch during the first TSC meeting. I expect that to happen the week of 1 May.

Philip

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
The technical steering groups?


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:46, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:

Mailing lists or actual groupe?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Philip
When will the working groups be set up?
Best
Keith

On 17 April 2017 at 20:14, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:
All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

Re: EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

David Ferriera
 

Hi All,

   Any update on the meeting dates?  

Thanks,
-David

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...> wrote:
Absolutely Keith - we will plan it here on the list.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Ok thanks, presumably that meeting will be in US? Please give those of us who have to travel overseas as much notice as poss. Much Appreciated. Keith


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:57, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:

These will form after project launch during the first TSC meeting. I expect that to happen the week of 1 May.

Philip

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
The technical steering groups?


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:46, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:

Mailing lists or actual groupe?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Philip
When will the working groups be set up?
Best
Keith

On 17 April 2017 at 20:14, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:
All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

_______________________________________________
EdgeX-TSC mailing list
EdgeX-TSC@....org
https://lists.edgexfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/edgex-tsc




--
David Ferriera | Forgerock
Director, Cloud Technology | Office of the CTO
t +1 408.454.8189 | w forgerock.com

Re: EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

Keith Steele
 

David
I hear 25/26 May in Boston is likelihood. tbc.
Keith

On 28 April 2017 at 17:31, David Ferriera <david.ferriera@...> wrote:
Hi All,

   Any update on the meeting dates?  

Thanks,
-David

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
Absolutely Keith - we will plan it here on the list.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Ok thanks, presumably that meeting will be in US? Please give those of us who have to travel overseas as much notice as poss. Much Appreciated. Keith


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:57, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:

These will form after project launch during the first TSC meeting. I expect that to happen the week of 1 May.

Philip

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
The technical steering groups?


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:46, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:

Mailing lists or actual groupe?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Philip
When will the working groups be set up?
Best
Keith

On 17 April 2017 at 20:14, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:
All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

_______________________________________________
EdgeX-TSC mailing list
EdgeX-TSC@...rg
https://lists.edgexfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/edgex-tsc




--
David Ferriera | Forgerock
Director, Cloud Technology | Office of the CTO

Re: EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting Follow-up

David Ferriera
 


Thanks Keith.  The 2 days before Memorial weekend is not ideal for US folks. I will stay tuned.

On Apr 28, 2017, at 09:28, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:

David
I hear 25/26 May in Boston is likelihood. tbc.
Keith

On 28 April 2017 at 17:31, David Ferriera <david.ferriera@...> wrote:
Hi All,

   Any update on the meeting dates?  

Thanks,
-David

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
Absolutely Keith - we will plan it here on the list.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Ok thanks, presumably that meeting will be in US? Please give those of us who have to travel overseas as much notice as poss. Much Appreciated. Keith


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:57, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:

These will form after project launch during the first TSC meeting. I expect that to happen the week of 1 May.

Philip

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
The technical steering groups?


On 21 Apr 2017, at 14:46, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:

Mailing lists or actual groupe?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Keith Steele <keith@...> wrote:
Philip
When will the working groups be set up?
Best
Keith

On 17 April 2017 at 20:14, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...g> wrote:
All,

Please see below for initial follow-up items from EdgeX Pre-Launch Meeting:

Jason will be following up with a copy of the presentation that was shared and I will be following up with documentation of the whiteboards and stick-note process.

Thanks to all of those who attended in person and on the phone (which I know was difficult - we will work on better audio and video for the next meeting...).

The Meeting Recording is now available at:

Mail Lists are also now available to help facilitate further discussions:
> If you have any issues subscribing to any of the lists, just send me your email address and the lists you would like to be on, and I can subscribe you from the back-end

We are working to spin up a Rocket.Chat instance (similar to Slack but without the archiving limits) and will notify all once available.

For those attending Hannover Messe, Brett has created a shared Google Doc, where you can enter as much (or as little) info about your visit, to help facilitate meetups, etc. while on-site.

Thanks again!

Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels



--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

_______________________________________________
EdgeX-TSC mailing list
EdgeX-TSC@...rg
https://lists.edgexfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/edgex-tsc




--
David Ferriera | Forgerock
Director, Cloud Technology | Office of the CTO

EdgeX Foundry Working Groups

Keith Steele
 

Hi

I was on the initial EdgeX call dialling in remotely.

There was some discussion on EdgeX working groups, not sure if anything was decided but just in case not I'd like to formally propose we consider aligning the working groups we establish with those of the OpenFog Consortium.

https://www.openfogconsortium.org/what-we-do/


There working groups are as follows....

 

Architecture Working Group

Communications Working Group

Manageability Working Group

Security Working Group

Software Infrastructure Working Group

Testbed Working Group

Marketing Committee


I guess I'm starting with an assumption that we have as an objective to promote EdgeX as (ultimately) the open source implementation of the OpenFog reference architecture, indeed I would hope we make the two synonymous, with EdgeX ultimately becoming (assuming the mantle of) the standard.


If not OpenFog then we should choose our 'reference architecture' vehicle? Any other suggestions? Maybe IIC new edge group?


Clearly my logic for aligning the groups would be so we can align technical discussion and reference with a potential reference architecture vehicle for EdgeX. We don't want to be talking at cross purposes indeed one of our objectives is to consolidate standards efforts. This would help in my view.


Hope this is the right vehicle for this discussion. If not I apologise in advance.


Best Regards

Keith Steele

CEO Iotech








EdgeX Technical Face to Face Kickoff 6, 7 & 8 June in BOSTON

Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...>
 

Hello, 

I'm excited to announce our first EdgeX Foundry technical Face to Face meeting  -  6,7 and 8 June in Boston. Thanks to John Walsh and the team at Analog Devices for graciously providing facilities. I strongly encourage technical representatives from every EdgeX member company and people from the wider technical community interested in contributing to EdgeX to participate - this will be a hands on working meeting.

We will be working through the full agenda in detail over the next week (along with hotel and transport information) but to help with your travel plans here's a starting framework:
  •  6 June - 2pm - 5pm Introductions, technical overview of EdgeX, TSC structure 
  •  7 June - 9am - 5pm hands on technical work
  •  8 June - 8am - Noon (and longer for those who want to stay the full day)  working sessions, wrap up, next steps

Jim White and the Dell team are working through the process of transitioning the FUSE code so that it can be released as EdgeX to the Linux Foundation EdgeX GitHub account  - they have committed to getting that done by June 1st. 

If you want access to the code earlier, Dell has a process - just email Jim james_white2@.... As to what's changing between the FUSE code base and what will be released as EdgeX, to quote Jim, "The code is not changing in any way other than to change the namespaces from Fuse to EdgeX Foundry names and to address license requirements for Apache 2." 


Regards,


Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

Re: EdgeX Technical Face to Face Kickoff 6, 7 & 8 June in BOSTON

Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...>
 

Thanks to the members of EdgeX and OpenFog who flagged that the dates below completely coincide with the next OpenFog meeting....After talking with a few of you about date options, I would like to know if there are any issues with a F2F on June 1 & 2 (early arrivals getting together on at least the evening of the 31st)???

Philip



On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...> wrote:
Hello, 

I'm excited to announce our first EdgeX Foundry technical Face to Face meeting  -  6,7 and 8 June in Boston. Thanks to John Walsh and the team at Analog Devices for graciously providing facilities. I strongly encourage technical representatives from every EdgeX member company and people from the wider technical community interested in contributing to EdgeX to participate - this will be a hands on working meeting.

We will be working through the full agenda in detail over the next week (along with hotel and transport information) but to help with your travel plans here's a starting framework:
  •  6 June - 2pm - 5pm Introductions, technical overview of EdgeX, TSC structure 
  •  7 June - 9am - 5pm hands on technical work
  •  8 June - 8am - Noon (and longer for those who want to stay the full day)  working sessions, wrap up, next steps

Jim White and the Dell team are working through the process of transitioning the FUSE code so that it can be released as EdgeX to the Linux Foundation EdgeX GitHub account  - they have committed to getting that done by June 1st. 

If you want access to the code earlier, Dell has a process - just email Jim james_white2@.... As to what's changing between the FUSE code base and what will be released as EdgeX, to quote Jim, "The code is not changing in any way other than to change the namespaces from Fuse to EdgeX Foundry names and to address license requirements for Apache 2." 


Regards,


Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

EdgeX Technical Face to Face Kickoff 1 &2 June in BOSTON

Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...>
 

Hello and happy Friday to you,


With input from many of you (thanks!) we are good to go with the Face to Face meeting in Boston on 1 & 2 June. For those of you arriving on the 31st, we will get together for dinner. 

I strongly encourage technical representatives from every EdgeX member company and people from the wider technical community interested in contributing to EdgeX to participate - this will be a hands on working meeting.  

Thanks to John Walsh and the team at Analog Devices for graciously providing facilities. Analog Devices will host the meeting at their Corporate HQ in Norwood. The address is Analog Devices, 1 Technology Way Norwood, MA 02062

We will follow up shortly with hotel recommendations. The nearest airport is Boston (BOS) but you can also fly in to Providence, RI airport (PVD) - its just 45 minutes from Norwood.

We will be working through the full agenda in detail over the next week (along with hotel and transport information) but to help with your travel plans here's a starting framework:

31 May:
7pm dinner

1 June: 
8am - 9am Breakfast
9am - 12pm Introductions, technical overview of EdgeX, TSC structure
12pm - 1pm Working Lunch
1pm - 5pm Technical Hands on work
7pm Dinner

2 June:
8am - 9am Breakfast
9am - 12pm Technical Hands on
12pm - 1pm Working lunch, status, summary, next steps
1pm - 5pm Continuing work for those who will be in town.

Jim White and the Dell team are working through the process of transitioning the FUSE code so that it can be released as EdgeX to the Linux Foundation EdgeX GitHub account.   

If you want access to the code earlier, Dell has a process - just email Jim  james_white2@.... As to what's changing between the FUSE code base and what will be released as EdgeX, to quote Jim, "The code is not changing in any way other than to change the namespaces from Fuse to EdgeX Foundry names and to address license requirements for Apache 2." 

Philip


On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...> wrote:
Thanks to the members of EdgeX and OpenFog who flagged that the dates below completely coincide with the next OpenFog meeting....After talking with a few of you about date options, I would like to know if there are any issues with a F2F on June 1 & 2 (early arrivals getting together on at least the evening of the 31st)???

Philip



On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
Hello, 

I'm excited to announce our first EdgeX Foundry technical Face to Face meeting  -  6,7 and 8 June in Boston. Thanks to John Walsh and the team at Analog Devices for graciously providing facilities. I strongly encourage technical representatives from every EdgeX member company and people from the wider technical community interested in contributing to EdgeX to participate - this will be a hands on working meeting.

We will be working through the full agenda in detail over the next week (along with hotel and transport information) but to help with your travel plans here's a starting framework:
  •  6 June - 2pm - 5pm Introductions, technical overview of EdgeX, TSC structure 
  •  7 June - 9am - 5pm hands on technical work
  •  8 June - 8am - Noon (and longer for those who want to stay the full day)  working sessions, wrap up, next steps

Jim White and the Dell team are working through the process of transitioning the FUSE code so that it can be released as EdgeX to the Linux Foundation EdgeX GitHub account  - they have committed to getting that done by June 1st. 

If you want access to the code earlier, Dell has a process - just email Jim james_white2@.... As to what's changing between the FUSE code base and what will be released as EdgeX, to quote Jim, "The code is not changing in any way other than to change the namespaces from Fuse to EdgeX Foundry names and to address license requirements for Apache 2." 


Regards,


Philip


Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

Update on EdgeX face-to-face technical kick-off meeting, June 1-2 in Boston

Jason.A.Shepherd@...
 

Hi All,


With a successful launch behind us I'm looking forward to our first technical working meeting for the EdgeX Foundry project coming up on June 1-2 in Boston!   I wanted to send a note with more detail about the session and echo Philip in encouraging you to have at least one technical resource from your organization attend in person for maximum productivity.   


If you plan to join either in person or by phone please RSVP via this link: 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfi6anN6whVZN_W_3CzRFimvd8SRmvQJ2G7N3B6_CBtjTuXEQ/viewform 


Another big thanks to fellow Platinum member Analog Devices for hosting us at their Norwood facility which is about 30-50 minutes south of Boston depending on traffic.   We picked the Boston area as a halfway point for Pacific coast and EMEA participants.  There are a number of reasonably-priced hotel options nearby – any of these choices are within 5-15 minutes of the meeting facility which is located at 1 Technology Way, Norwood, MA 02062:

 

-      Hampton Inn Boston-Norwood

-      Hilton Boston/Dedham

-      Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Dedham

-      Holiday Inn Boston-Dedham Hotel and Conference Center

-      Courtyard by Marriott Boston Norwood/Canton

-      Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Norwood

-      Four Points by Sheraton Norwood

-      Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Canton

 

Per the previous email you can choose to either fly into Boston Logan or Providence, Rhode Island – both are about the same distance from Norwood. 

 

Meeting Agenda

We'll send out the final agenda and some technical documentation to prep with by the end of next week but here's a little more detail than what we sent previously:

 

Wednesday, May 31

7pm: Dinner (location TBD) for early arrivals

Thursday, June 1

8am-9am: Breakfast

9am-noon*: Group discussion and alignment.  Review and refine proposed project charter and organization of Technical Steering Committee (TSC), architecture recap including selective code review, discussion on what constitutes the overall EdgeX MVP to help drive Workgroup planning.  

Noon-1: Working lunch and networking

1-5pm: Break into workgroups for technical hands-on (see draft workgroups below**)

5-7pm: Free time

7pm: Group dinner


Friday, June 2

8am-9am: Breakfast

9am-noon: Continued workgroup breakout discussion, summarize output for main group

Noon-1:30pm*:  Reconvene for working lunch, workgroups report out 

1:30-3pm*: Ratify project charter and TSC organizations, discuss eventual certification program, summarize next steps, key milestones and associated resources

3pm: Adjourn

 

*REMOTE DIAL-IN AVAILABLE

 

General Notes on the Meeting

Please come prepared familiar with the overall EdgeX architecture by evaluating the technical documentation and ideally code base, in addition to having in mind your priority workgroup and associated contributions. 


For those of you who plan to dial in – we’ll hold to a tighter structure during the sections highlighted above and will also try to make a dial-in available for the breakouts but please understand that these portions will inherently be more free-form discussion and therefore may be difficult to follow remotely.  

 

If you have any questions of if there's anything in particular you'd like to discuss over the course of the two days please reply to info@....

**Proposed EdgeX Foundry Technical Workgroups

Based on our pre-launch meeting and subsequent group discussion, below are the proposed starting technical workgroups for the project.   Please come prepared to align with one of these groups for the technical hands-on portions based on your organization’s expertise and interests.   There will of course be ongoing opportunities to interact across groups.

  • General Architecture and Core Services – Overall architecture with a focus on Core and Supporting Services and addressing requirements from other workgroups
  • Security – Baseline security services and APIs supporting value-added security functionality throughout the EdgeX platform
  • System Management – APIs and reference implementation for the management and health of both the host system and connected devices/equipment, including deployment and maintenance of EdgeX microservices (start, stop, restart, update, provide status, configuration, etc.)
  • Device Interoperability – Interoperability between “southbound” connectivity protocols and Core Services, the device microservices that provide this connectivity, and the SDK to create new Device Services
  • Data Orchestration and Applications – "Northbound" Export Services for interoperability and exchange of data (with local applications, other edge/fog nodes and cloud systems), including the tools and SDKs to add additional integration capability in various formats.  Workgroup will also address the API and performance needs of general applications such as edge analytics (CEP, machine learning), database, and other “intelligence” integration that resides in EdgeX or is provided in coordination with backend systems.  

General EdgeX Project Update

As a general update, Dell is on track to drop the FUSE seed code into the project by May 31 as planned.  The scans look good in terms of licensing the core under Apache 2.0 and we're in the last stages of the FUSE>EdgeX rename and rebuild.   If you haven't done so already, please email me for the early access agreement if you want additional time to review the source code prior to the meeting. 


Per previous emails we'll be holding voting for the three elected board members from the Silver tier soon so please continue to put your name in the hat for that.   This face-to-face session will be a great opportunity to get to know each other for the subsequent vote.   In other news, we plan to do a momentum press release in the next 30-45 days to announce additional project members.

 

Otherwise it's time to roll up our sleeves and get to work!   We're targeting a Beta release by the October time frame and this would include general hardening of the seed contribution combined with member contributions, lowering the overall footprint and the inclusion of MVP security and system management functionality.   With this Beta release we plan to accelerate overall community and end customer engagement through activities such as plug fests and field PoCs. 

 

Hope to see you in Boston!

 

-Jason

 

Chair of the EdgeX Foundry Governing Board



​ 

 

 

EdgeX Foundry initial code availablity

James.White2@...
 

HI everyone – I am pleased to announce that the initial open source EdgeX Foundry code is now available at https://github.com/edgexfoundry.  This is the initial collection of microservices and libraries created by Dell under the project name Fuse.


No NDAs, no license agreements, etc. required!  It’s now open source.


We are still working with the LF admins to get the builds and automatic containerization working, but hope to make that available soon as well.  And … we have been simultaneously working on updating our old Fuse documentation and adding new EdgeX Foundry content.  We hope to have that ready by early next week – a full couple of weeks ahead of schedule! 

We look forward to your initial feedback, thoughts and ideas at next week’s technical kick off meeting.  And we look forward to working with you all to make this a widely adopted IoT edge platform.


Enjoy!!



Jim White
Distinguished Engineer, Software Architect
Dell Technologies | End User Computing, Chief Technology Office (EUC CTO)
Office +1 512-723-6139, mobile/text +1 612-916-6693
james_white2@...

Re: EdgeX Foundry initial code availablity

Philip DesAutels <pdesautels@...>
 

Jim and team Dell,

AWESOME!!!!!

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 4:32 PM, <James.White2@...> wrote:

HI everyone – I am pleased to announce that the initial open source EdgeX Foundry code is now available at https://github.com/edgexfoundry.  This is the initial collection of microservices and libraries created by Dell under the project name Fuse.


No NDAs, no license agreements, etc. required!  It’s now open source.


We are still working with the LF admins to get the builds and automatic containerization working, but hope to make that available soon as well.  And … we have been simultaneously working on updating our old Fuse documentation and adding new EdgeX Foundry content.  We hope to have that ready by early next week – a full couple of weeks ahead of schedule! 

We look forward to your initial feedback, thoughts and ideas at next week’s technical kick off meeting.  And we look forward to working with you all to make this a widely adopted IoT edge platform.


Enjoy!!



Jim White
Distinguished Engineer, Software Architect
Dell Technologies | End User Computing, Chief Technology Office (EUC CTO)
Office +1 512-723-6139, mobile/text +1 612-916-6693


_______________________________________________
EdgeX-TSC mailing list
EdgeX-TSC@....org
https://lists.edgexfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/edgex-tsc




--
Philip

Philip DesAutels, PhD
Senior Director of IoT
The Linux Foundation
+1.781.363.3713   skype:philip.desautels

EdgeX Foundry Docker Containers

James.White2@...
 

Happy weekend to all - and to those in the U.S. happy Memorial Day Weekend where we remember our fallen and celebrate the unofficial start of summer. I am happy today to announce that Docker containers for all the EdgeX Foundry microservices are now available. Do a search for edgexfoundry at hub.docker.com. You should find 13 containers that can be pulled and used to run EdgeX Foundry microservices, database, registry and initialization services (seeds) for the database and registry.

We have tagged these containers with "latest" as well as "rc" (for release candidate) tags. The Linux Foundation administrators are still helping to get our automated builds, and code policies and procedures in place (should have that up and running in the coming weeks).  These initial Docker containers were built from the EdgeX Foundry code, but outside of what will be the official build process - thus we are labeling them with RC tags for now.

Documentation has been finalized and is out for review by some of early Fuse user community.  We felt they would be some of the best folks to let us know what we missed before providing to all of you.  Look for an announcement around Tuesday about documentation availability.

Enjoy!!