Topics

TSC vote on License and Attribution policy

James.White2@...

TSC members,

Per today’s TSC meeting, please review and vote on the proposed License and Attribution Files policy found here:  https://wiki.edgexfoundry.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=21823866

If you are in favor of this clarification to our contributor process and guidelines, please respond to this email with a +1.

If you would like to modify the wording, please respond with your proposed changes.

Non-TSC members of the EdgeX community are encouraged to provide a non-binding vote or suggest modifications as well.

Distinguished Engineer, IoT Platform Development Team Lead

EdgeX Foundry Technical Steering Committee Vice Chairman

Andrew Foster

+1

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 23:58, <James.White2@...> wrote:

TSC members,

Per today’s TSC meeting, please review and vote on the proposed License and Attribution Files policy found here:  https://wiki.edgexfoundry.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=21823866

If you are in favor of this clarification to our contributor process and guidelines, please respond to this email with a +1.

If you would like to modify the wording, please respond with your proposed changes.

Non-TSC members of the EdgeX community are encouraged to provide a non-binding vote or suggest modifications as well.

Distinguished Engineer, IoT Platform Development Team Lead

EdgeX Foundry Technical Steering Committee Vice Chairman

Tobias Mosby

If an _existing_ component is updated, is an update to attribution.txt needed (i.e., version of existing dependent component)?

Text currently reads "new" and "added".

On 12/13/18 12:57 AM, James.White2@... wrote:

TSC members,

Per today’s TSC meeting, please review and vote on the proposed License and Attribution Files policy found here:  https://wiki.edgexfoundry.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=21823866

If you are in favor of this clarification to our contributor process and guidelines, please respond to this email with a +1.

If you would like to modify the wording, please respond with your proposed changes.

1) "Ubuntu Snap" --> "snap package"

2) I think this needs some re-wording:

When ever a contributor adds a product or dependency on another 3rd party tool, library, package, or other product to EdgeX...

In particular the "library, package, or other product".  What we're really concerned about are library dependencies which result in code being copied into EdgeX binaries, and thus being re-distributed by EdgeX. Examples include a golang import which statically links library code into a binary, a new C statically linked library, a Java package import (which causes compiled class files to get copied into Jars), ...

That said, code linked dynamically needs to be treated more akin to tools or applications as explained below, however I'd like a second opinion on this.

So I'd suggest:

Whenever a contributor adds a new dependency on a 3rd party programming library (i.e. C library, Golang/Java package, ...) to EdgeX...

That said, with respect to our container artifacts, if new non-EdgeX tools or applications are required at runtime, then the licenses of those products need to be included, but not in an Attribition.txt file.

Does that make sense?

3) Contributors must create an Attribution.txt file when submitting the initial Pull Request for any new EdgeX Foundry repository.

I would say "for each binary or external library package built from the repository". For instance our edgex-go has multiple Attribution.txt files for each service binary, and for its exported packages.

3) This Attribution file should contain any used/referenced open source in the repository (see Contents below).

Suggest: This Attribution file should enumerate all used/referenced 3rd party libraries for a given binary or library.

Also is it our policy that all 3rd party libraries used by the core EdgeX code are open source, as long the license is compatible with Apache 2.0? I think the answer is yes, but wanted to double check whether we've explicitly stated this anywhere?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_(computing)

Non-TSC members of the EdgeX community are encouraged to provide a non-binding vote or suggest modifications as well.

Distinguished Engineer, IoT Platform Development Team Lead

EdgeX Foundry Technical Steering Committee Vice Chairman

Steve Osselton

+1

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 at 05:58, <James.White2@...> wrote:

TSC members,

Per today’s TSC meeting, please review and vote on the proposed License and Attribution Files policy found here:  https://wiki.edgexfoundry.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=21823866

If you are in favor of this clarification to our contributor process and guidelines, please respond to this email with a +1.

If you would like to modify the wording, please respond with your proposed changes.

Non-TSC members of the EdgeX community are encouraged to provide a non-binding vote or suggest modifications as well.

Distinguished Engineer, IoT Platform Development Team Lead

EdgeX Foundry Technical Steering Committee Vice Chairman

Technical Director
IOTech Systems Ltd.

최효근

+1